Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior

I have Labrador puppies and I did not know to get the dew claws

I have Labrador puppies and I did not know to get the dew claws removed in the first couple o days after they were born. They are 4 weeks old on Sunday is there anyway to remove them now?
Hello. This is Dr. Christian. At this age to have the dewclaws removed would require anesthesia due to the increased blood supply to the claws as well as to avoid the pain of removal (there is no anesthesia at a few days old). It's best to wait until she is spayed and have the dewclaws removed then. She'll already be under anesthesia. Pain medications can also be prescribed. If you have more questions please reply back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what I want to know is if the 4 week old pups can still have their dew claws removed?

They can but it would require anesthesia. It's better to wait until they are older to have that done so they can tolerate the anesthesia better. The dewclaws shouldn't be removed at this age without anesthesia.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The pups are very healthy and weigh about 5 pounds how big in size would they be able to tolerate the anesthesia, Is it the norm that breeders remove the due claws on labs

They are typically removed between 3-5 days old by the breeder. I honestly don't typically recommend anesthesia before 5-6 months old.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

Dr. Christian K.