Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My dog has been experiencing severe night time anxiety. He

My dog has been experiencing severe night time anxiety. He is almost 14. He's been taking Ace for a long time now. It has , more often, than not worked. In the last month he has become increasingly more stressed all night; pacing, panting; and unable to rest at all. I am walking the floors with him from sundown to sun up. Doc increased Ace to 50mg. plus melatonin. We gave him his dose at 5PM. It is 9:30 PM here in NY and he is quite agitated. I am reading about Ace and it has come to my understanding that it is NOT at all recommended for stressed out dogs. Can I give him a Valium tonite on top of what he has already taken.? I am desperate to get him to relax so we can all get some sleep. It has been so very, very difficult. HELP!

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

I'm so sorry to hear about you and Rusty! I can feel the frustration and worry over the internet!

Dr. Scarlett :

First, yes, you can give him a valium along with the acepromazine that he already got, and the melatonin.

Dr. Scarlett :

I'm not sure where you read that ace isn't good for stressed out dogs. It isn't an anti-anxiety medication, but a sedative. In aggressive dogs it can cause them to be more aggressive, but that doesn't hold true with stress.

Dr. Scarlett :

Here is a website with good info about ace: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=570

Dr. Scarlett :

Does Rusty have any problems with stiffness or pain? I would ask your vet about prescribing tramadol to try at night. Tramadol is a pain medication that is also sedating, so Rusty might sleep better and feel better overall.

Customer:

Thank you. I very much appreciate you getting back to me. I have read several articles recently about Acepromazine being a great sedative. It has always worked on Rusty when he would need to be sedated for an x-ray or an ultrasound. He was happy go lucky then; never exhibiting signs of any kind of anxiety. His old age seems to have brought the anxiety out. The articles claim that the Ace can, in fact exacerbate fear....nonetheless I will keep trying. I will try a valium tonight. Is 5 mg. a good dose for him? He is about 70 lbs.

Dr. Scarlett :

If that is what your vet prescribed for him. It is a rather low dose, but may be sufficient in conjunction with the ace and his age.

Customer:

Thanks!