Dr. Laurie
Dr. Laurie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Internship trained small animal veterinarian. Interestes: internal medicine, dermatology & oncology
40350296

I came home a few hours ago to find my dog acting strange.

I came home a few hours ago to find my dog acting strange. She's a mixed breed (fox terrier/Chihuahua/skipperkey around 13 lbs. Her tail is tucked under, getting under furniture and hiding. I looked at her legs, paws and found no problem. Her nose is dry and warm. What do you think?

Dr. Laurie :

Hello, My name isXXXXX

Dr. Laurie :

I am sorry to hear that Sadie is not acting herself. Is she eating and drinking tonight?

Customer:

No, not since I came home a few hours ago. She is a peppy, happy dog but is acting strange.

Dr. Laurie :

One of the most common things that can cause these symptoms is neck or back pain. Does she usually jump up and down off of furniture?

Dr. Laurie :

and if she does has she done this since you got home?

Customer:

Hey, is this website going to charge me 18 dollars a month? I was leary about doing this in the first place but now fear I'm stuck in a contract or something. No, she hasn't done anything like that since getting home. Yes, she can jump as high as the moon usually.

Dr. Laurie :

I'm sorry I don't really know anything about how this website charges. You may want to email customer support.

Dr. Laurie :

Has she had any vomiting or diarrhea? Is she breathing normal?

Customer:

Ok, but go ahead and tell me what I should do for her. I looked her over very well and didn't see anything. Her breathing is normal now but when I first got home she seemed to pant a little. No vomiting or diarrhea.

Dr. Laurie :

OK, check her gums for me and tell me what color they are

Customer:

pink with a mottled black.

Dr. Laurie :

Great. Pink is normal and the black is normal pigment

Dr. Laurie :

She sounds like she is stable which is wonderful.

Dr. Laurie :

What I recommend is that you just monitor her closely tonight. Do not let her jump up or down on any furniture (pick her up instead) and pick her up when going up and down any stairs. If she is not improved in the morning I suggest taking her to a veterinarian to get her checked out. Many times when smaller pets start hiding and have their tails tucked it is because something hurts. Many times just a little rest will help tremendously but sometimes pain medication or anti inflammatory medications are needed. I do not recommend giving her aspirin, tylenol, ib profen or any human medication because these can upset her stomach and cause more problems

Customer:

She is laying behind a chair with her front legs crossed and head laying on her paws. Usually she is with me in my chair or follows me room to room but not tonight. I have to say that when we let her outside to go to the bathroom, she is adventurous and chases squirrels, and rabbits. We are on an acre.

Customer:

Ok, well....the bad part is that I gave her a half of a baby aspirin with peanut butter. I forgot to tell you that part...She did take the peanut butter readily. She does an iron stomach though.

Customer:

Ok, I will monitor her and see what happens. Thanks!

Dr. Laurie :

Your welcome, if you have to take her in to the vet tomorrow be sure to tell them about the aspirin as some medication they may send home could interact. Since she has a tough stomach she will most likely be fine with that dose of aspirin since it was just one time.

Dr. Laurie :

I sure hope that she feels better soon. Good luck!

Customer:

Ok, have a good evening.

Dr. Laurie :

You too. Take care.

Hello Vicki,

I am just following up to see how Sadie is doing. I hope she is feeling better.

Dr. Laurie