Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 6 month old puppy chewed the top off a bottle of chain saw

My 6 month old puppy chewed the top off a bottle of chain saw oil and ingested some and threw up twice. Should I give him Ipecac or what should I do. Our vet is closed for the night

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

Just to clarify is chain saw oil similar to motor oil? Or is it mixed with gasoline?

Dr. Altman :

So if new motor oil is ingested and no vomiting occurs, you will typically only see diarrhea and an upset stomach. Vomiting the oil is dangerous because it is often then breathed into the lungs and causes aspiration pneumonia. With ingestion of any motor oil you are going to see loose to liquid (and quite oily) diarrhea for a few days. Because he is vomiting I am not going to have you feed her anything at this time.

Customer:

Chain saw oil is mixed with solvent . My husband fed him and he has thrown everything up including watery bile.

Dr. Altman :

So the concern with the vomiting and the solvent is it can cause ulcerations/ erosions of the esophagus

Dr. Altman :

And since it can aerosol then it can be aspirated into the lungs and cause aspiration pneumonia as well

Dr. Altman :

How is he acting?

Customer:

Will XXXXX XXXXXve ? I'm so afraid. He is whining every so often and my husband just took him outside so maybe he is going to the bathroom

Customer:

Is there anything we can give him ?

Dr. Altman :

I am concerned about erosions of the esophagus and pneumonia. Is there any idea how much he might have ingested?

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately giving him anything orally will likely cause further vomiting

Dr. Altman :

In an ideal situation would be to get him to a veterinary er where they can give him injectable medications to by pass the gi tract and ensure there is no sign of pneumonia

Dr. Altman :

Is he breathing alright? Any coughing?

Customer:

he chewed the top off the bottle and it tipped over and he was licking the top of the empty container when my husband got to him so we dont think he ingested too much .He's breathing fine and no coughing

Dr. Altman :

How long ago did this occur?

Dr. Altman :

Are you still there?

Customer:

5 oclock 3 and a half hrs ago

Dr. Altman :

How long since his last vomiting episode?

Customer:

20 minutes

Dr. Altman :

Is he still showing signs of discomfort? Is he still nauseous (licking lips, eating grass, increased salivation)?

Customer:

It was lubricating oil for the chainsaw not fuel

Dr. Altman :

Yes but when you mentioned it was mixed with a solvent that is eroding and in the same class as a fuel product

Customer:

he is slobbering a little bit and he is just laying there resting as he usually does this time of night

Dr. Altman :

That is a good sign that he is not vomiting anymore and is able to rest comfortably

Dr. Altman :

Would you say he is salivating about 20% more than normal or a big puddle?

Customer:

We will be able to get him to our Vet at 8 AM in the morn. He is just salivating a few dribbles

Dr. Altman :

OK that is good as well

Dr. Altman :

Please give me a few minutes to formulate a plan for Harry

Dr. Altman :

How much does he weigh please?

Customer:

28 lbs

Customer:

He threw up his lunch and his supper

Dr. Altman :

But it has been 20 minutes or he did again?

Dr. Altman :

1- No food or water for 8-12 hours, keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves.
2- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 20 mg 1/2 tablet daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Harry comfortable and determine how best to treat him to resolve the vomiting and likely ulcerations of the esophagus and stomach

Customer:

No he hasnt thrown up again My husband just wanted you to know that we could tell that his 1/2 bowl of crunchies he ate at noon plus what my husband fed him at 6 all came up

Dr. Altman :

OK, thank you for the additional information

Dr. Altman :

If he goes 4 hours without vomiting go ahead and give a little water earlier than the information I listed

Dr. Altman :

Unfortunately we need to wait for the waves of nausea to cease in order to begin trying to treat the gi upset and/ or ingestion since injectable medications are not an option

Dr. Altman :

Does this information make sense?

Customer:

Yes Thank you

Dr. Altman :

Great, can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything for you today?

Dr. Altman :

I know you must be very scared but unfortunately we need to keep her from having food/ water/ grass to allow the stomach to rest

Customer:

No thank you so much !

Dr. Altman :

You are very welcome

Dr. Altman :

You both will be in my thoughts this evening

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!