How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 9140
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 10 year old yellow Lab who weighs approximately 75lbs.

This answer was rated:

I have a 10 year old yellow Lab who weighs approximately 75lbs. My daughter was eating a small cup of chocolate gellato and my dog got into it. She probably ate between 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of it. should I be concerned? What symptoms should I look out for?
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm sorry for this concern for Sheena.
I do have a few questions to ask about her first, if you don't mind:

1. How long ago did she eat the gelato?
2. Can you guesstimate the amount of chocolate it contained?
3. And what kind of chocolate was it? Milk, Dark, etc.?
4. How is she behaving now?

There may be a very slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she ate it approximately an hour ago. I purchased it at the whole foods gelato bar. I called them to ask if they used milk or dark and she didn't know. She said it didn't specify on the ingredients just that it has cocoa in in. She seems to be ok so far. Just very itchy from her allergies. Taking atopica for that.

Mimi:
Thanks so much for the additional information.

I researched a few gelato recipes while I was waiting for your response and assuming there was 2 ounces of dark chocolate in the amount she ate (and I think that would be a lot of chocolate in a gelato), then I wouldn't expect any symptoms at all. Different types of chocolate have different levels of toxicity associated with them and dark chocolate is one of the worst. Cocoa can also be fairly toxic but even at 2 ounces, I wouldn't expect any adverse reactions.

At 4 ounces of dark chocolate, there might be vomiting and diarrhea and at 8 ounces, I might expect to see trembling, increased heart rate, balance issues, etc.

 

Four ounces of cocoa could cause some issues for her but I'd expect to see signs by now.

So, more than likely, she's going to be fine but signs to monitor would be the ones I just mentioned: gastrointestinal issues, trembling, shaking, increased heart rate, any unusual behavior.
If she develops any of them, I would have her seen as soon as you can.

I hope this helps but I suspect she's going to be fine. Deb

Dr. Deb and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Mimi:

Thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.
I'd like to check back in with you tomorrow just to be sure that Sheena is doing ok.

Even though you've rated, we can still communicate at no additional charge to you.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb

Mimi:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sheena. How is she doing? Deb

Related Dog Veterinary Questions