Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a Shit Zue, 4 yrs old. He has a brown drainage out

I have a Shit Zue, 4 yrs old. He has a brown drainage out of his ear and it smells. I've cleaned it up really good for a week, but still seeping a little. What could this be? Will it
pass or should I take him to the Vet?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- The discharge is inside the ear canal, correct?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, and at first had drained all over ear on inside. I cleaned it all up and is better, but still seeping out of canal.

Pat, Bailey has an ear infection. This is what you can do:

1- Pick up in your local pet store an ear cleaning solution and clean the ear of all discharge using cotton. If the ear is very irritated, clean with plain water, once the irritation improves use the ear cleaning solution.

2- After cleaning the ear as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin.

3- Do the above twice a day for 10-14 days. Always clean the ear as above before applying the topical antibiotic.

4- If you do not see significant improvement in 2-3 days after doing the above have him checked by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's kind of what I thought, I will do what you suggested, thanks!

You're Welcome.
Hi Pat,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bailey. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter