Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I just noticed that my Great Dane is bleeding from her rectum.

I just noticed that my Great Dane is bleeding from her rectum. It is not a lot but she is trying to lick it. Do you have any recommendations?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is there blood pouring out of the anus or she has a cut/lesion around the anal area?
2- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1 - It is coming out of the anus but I wouldn't say it is pouring. It is dripping out. I don't see any cut.

2 - I just noticed it a few minutes ago.

1- Does she have diarrhea?
2- Any vomiting?
3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
4- Any bone ingestion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No diarrhea or vomiting. She didn't get into anything that I know of. She chews on bones a lot and had a rawhide bone last night.

Friend, when we see blood pouring out of the anus it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). There are lots of possible causes, in a young dog very high on the list of possible causes is ingestion of a foreign body. In this case the best option for Olive is to have her checked today by a veterinarian for xrays. You see, if there is a foreign body obstructed in the colon it can perforate the intestine with fatal consequences, for this reason important to rule out as soon as you can. If you can not get her to a vet today this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Pick up an ecollar (cone) to stop her from licking. You can find an ecollar in your local pet store.
3- Change the diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%).
4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter