Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
13866827

10 yr old female Weimaraner, on thyroid med and clavamox for

10 yr old female Weimaraner, on thyroid med and clavamox for UTI at present, unable to hold urine, shaking, panting
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Did your vet do a urinalysis before prescribing the clavamox? Do you know what they found? How long has Baby been on thyroid supplement? Has her T4 level been checked recently?

Customer:

Urinalysis was done - UTI was diagnosis so clavamox was prescribed. Did not do T4 test for thyroid. She is currently on a dosage of 1 and a half .1 mg of thyrotab 2x Daily plus 1 and a half .7 mg go the same twice daily

Dr. Scarlett :

So the thyroid total dose is 1.2 mg twice a day? How much does Baby weigh? How long as she been taking the thyrotab?

Customer:

She weighs 81 lbs and has been taking the thyroid meds for about 8 mos

Dr. Scarlett :

At 80 pounds, 1.2 mg twice a day is a pretty high dose. Has her T4 been checked since starting the medication? Getting too much thyroid medication can make a dog shake and pant.

Dr. Scarlett :

I have to go see an appointment, so am switching to Q&A mode. I will return and answer more of your questions, but it could be 30 min. Is that ok?

Customer:

it was increased about 3 mos ago to bring up her thyroid levels but has not been checked since then

Ok, thanks for waiting!
Since the T4 hasn't been checked since increasing the dose, I'm actually more concerned that her symptoms (the panting and shaking anyway) could be due to too much thyroid supplement. Hyperthyroidism can also cause a dog to drink more and urinate more.

The shaking and the urgency to urinate could certainly be due to the urinary tract infection. I assume your vet saw white blood cells or blood or bacteria in the urine or something that was diagnostic for a bacterial infection.

Clavamox is pretty well tolerated and has a good spectrum of activity against most bladder bacteria. It can cause GI upset, like vomiting and diarrhea, so if Baby is having some stomach upset, that might cause some pain and shaking. Unless she is having any vomiting or diarrhea, I would continue the Clavamox. I would try to get more water into her as well, to help flush out her kidneys and bladder. Dilute chicken broth or ice cubes can make a dog drink more.

If the shaking and panting started before the urine infection was diagnosed, I'd be more suspicious of that thyroid dose. I'd really like to check a T4 on her before changing her medication, but with the long weekend and her not feeling great, it might be worth cutting back to the original dose or stopping the thyroid meds completely for a couple of days. Just to see if she improves at all.

Is there an emergency vet around you? If she doesn't seem to be doing any better or develops new signs, is lethargic, not eating well, bloody urine seen, etc, then I would take her in there for an exam.
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 16 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - she has been acting just as you describe. We will try to find an emergency vet to take her to or reduce or discontinue the dose for a couple of days until it can be checked