Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My Standard poodle is 9 months old and for the last few mornings,

My Standard poodle is 9 months old and for the last few mornings, he throws up about a cup of liquid as soon as he gets up. Then, for the rest of the day he acts, eats and poops just fine. Maybe a little soft, but okay. What can this be?

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

How often do you feed Sidney?

Dr. Scarlett :

Is he throwing up before or after he eats?

Customer:

We feed him 3 times per day. 8am, 1pm, and 7pm and no, no throwing up after meals. Only as soon as he gets up in the am

Customer:

this morning it was a brown liquid

Dr. Scarlett :

I wonder if he is just going too long between feedings. The daytime is good, but he is going over 12 hours without food after his 7p feeding.

Dr. Scarlett :

If he is otherwise acting normally and the vomiting is only in the morning, then I would try a couple things at home to see if they help.

Dr. Scarlett :

1. feed him another meal right before bedtime or just leave food out overnight for him to nibble on. Or if someone gets up earlier than 8am, maybe feed him right away.

Dr. Scarlett :

2. Give him some Pepcid at night to decrease his stomach acids. How much does Sidney weigh?

Customer:

50lbs

Dr. Scarlett :

I'd start with 10 mg Pepcid each evening.

Customer:

okay that sounds good. We'll try that. Thank you very much!

Dr. Scarlett :

You're welcome! Let me know how it goes!

Customer:

okay, how can I do that? This is my first time using this.

Dr. Scarlett :

You can just reply to this message. I'll switch it to a Q&A mode and then it will come in your e-mail.

Hi Cynthia,
How is Sidney doing? Did the pepcid and later feeding make any difference?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay I guess. We did start feeding another meal at bedtime. Had some antibiotic s left over so gave those. Has not thrown up but now has diarrhea. Hopefully that will go away. Thanks four halo!
What antibiotics did you give? That might be the cause of the diarrhea.
You could try giving him a probiotic or some plain yogurt with active Lactobacillus cultures--might help with the diarrhea.

But I'm glad the throwing up has improved!