Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

Hello, I have a 5 month old cocker spaniel. Hes been eating

I have a 5 month old cocker spaniel. He's been eating and drinking normally and acting just fine throughout the day, but I've noticed his stool is a little soft and he has about a teaspoon of mucus that comes out after he poops. Is this something I should get checked out by a vet, or can I solve this by cleaning out his system with a bland diet of chicken and rice for 3-4 days?

Thanks so much!
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
Before the chicken and rice, had he had any new food or treats?
Is he on monthly heart worm prevention which also helps prevent gastrointestinal worms?
How many days has he had the soft stool with mucous?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Gabby, Thanks for your prompt response. The only new treat we gave him was a raw hide stick last weekend, and a puppy beef jerky treat from Petco. He was tested about 2 months ago for worms and he came up completely negative. He received all of the puppy vaccinations as well. He's had mucous in his stool for about 3 days now.

Thank you,
Hopefully he just has an upset stomach from something he ate.
It could be the treats.
Sometimes puppies, or even dogs, put things in their mouths we do not know about.
The mucous indicates inflammation in the large intestine or colon.
I would try the chicken and rice diet for a few days
You can also give him some pepto bismol. 1 teaspoon, or 1/3 tablet, per 10 pounds of dog every 8 hours.
Probiotics, which help increase the good bacteria in the intestines, may be a good idea as well. You just sprinkle it on the food. "Fortiflora by Purina" is a good one and you can buy it online or at petsmart.
You may also be able to call the vet, and ask if you can drop off a fresh fecal sample to check for parasites or abnormal bacteria.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional quesitons, please reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This was very helpful!

Thanks so much Dr. Gabby Smile

My pleasure. You are very welcome Wink
Hi Danielle,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby