Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

Hello, My 10month old golden retriever has been sleeping a

My 10month old golden retriever has been sleeping a lot the last 2 days and he is usually very energetic. 3 days ago I brought him to the vet to get the Bortadella shot and the next day I brought him to a daycare for the day. He has been very sleepy since then and early this morning he threw up and this morning he just smelled his food ate a bit and walked away. Normally he eats his entire meal in about 1 1/2 min. What should I do?
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
Could you take his temperature to see if he has a fever? You an buy a thermometer at any grocery store or drug store.
Is he coughing or sneezing?
How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gabby,

His temperature is 37.7%. No coughing or sneezing. He weighs 71lbs.

Great Job. Thank you.
So he does not have a fever.
Normal is up to 39.
The most likely cause would be the vaccine.
He does go to day care so he may be coming down with an illness as well.
I would treat him symptomatically for now.
He should be back to normal in 1-2 days.
To help settle his stomach, you can give him one tablet of human pepcid, or zantac, every 8 hours. Those are human stomach acid reducers you should be able to find at the human drug store. If you can not find those, you can give him 2 tablets, or 2 tablespoons, of pepto bismol every 8 hours.
Try feeding him a bland diet of plain cooked chicken, or ground beef, with rice. Since he has an upset stomach, try starting with just a spoonful of the mixture. Keep him on the bland diet until he seems completely normal. Probably 1-3 days. Then, gradually mix in his regular food.
If he starts coughing, sneezing, can not keep food or water down for more than 12 hours, or he has multiple episodes of diarrhea then he should see a vet. To make sure he has not picked up a parasite, viral infection, or bacterial infection.
I would just let him rest. If he is good in the house, he should stay home from day care until he is better.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional quesitons, please reply again.
Thanks Smile