Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 1-1/2 year old puppy was fine yesterday; went for a walk

My 1-1/2 year old puppy was fine yesterday; went for a walk in the evening. When we got up this morning, he wouldn't come out of his cage and so I lifted him out. He is kind of shaky and can't walk. My vet doesn't open for 4 more hours. Help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Buddy is not feeling well. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Is he able to stand?
3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
4- Can you take his rectal temperature?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

No vomiting, diarrhea or coughing. He can stand very unsteadily. Gums are pink. I don't have a rectal thermometer but he doesn't feel hot, his ears are cool.

Friend, the symptoms that you are describing are consistent with neuromuscular problems like a pinch nerve along the back secondary to a bulging disc or a pulled muscle. If your vet opens in 4 hours it is best that you simply keep him comfortable and wait until he is seen by veterinarian. You see, giving things like aspirin now will interfere with medications your vet may need to use. So, it is best to simply wait. Once your vet starts him on anti inflammatory medications he will be fine. For now, keep him comfortable and quiet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

You have soothed me greatly; I was very concerned for him. I will call the vets as soon as they open. Thank you very much.

You're Welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.