Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 5 year old German shepherd has what appears to be a broken

My 5 year old German shepherd has what appears to be a broken incisor tooth. He hasn't had any bones lately and he's not a chewer, so I have no idea how it broke. The tooth is flush with the gum line and I do not see an exposed root. Should what's left of the tooth be removed? Photo of the broken tooth here: http://i.imgur.com/tOxhwJZ.jpg

Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Indiana.
Yes, ideally, the rest of that incisior should be extracted. It could be predisposed to discomfort or a tooth root abscess.

In addition, if he has never had a dental cleaning before, at 5 years of age, a routine dental at the same time might not be such a bad idea.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Richard,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Indiana. How is everything going?