Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

my french bulldog ate dreft baby detergent yesterday, today

my french bulldog ate dreft baby detergent yesterday, today she is vomiting and salivating too much
the vet gave her activated charcoal, she has no more vomits but she dont want to eat
she is drinking water
i m scared
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- Is Basilia at home with you now?
- Is she drinking ok and able to keep water down?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is basilia now with me in my bed, she drinks ok and the water is here in the bedroom

she s sleeping

sorry for my english

Hi Maria,

Your english is perfect! Thanks for that.

You are going to have to continue to keep a close eye on Basilia. It is great to hear the vomiting has settled at least and it is excellent that she is managing to keep water down. Do continue to encourage her to drink plenty of fresh water - this is quite important in her case. These laundry detergents are typically alkaline in nature and can be caustic to the mucosa of the stomach and intestines. It is good your Vet didn't induce vomiting in this case and hopefully the activated charcoal has helped to absorb some of th detergent.

If Basilia is resting and otherwise ok now (no more vomiting or salivating), then keeping an eye on her overnight is completely fine. If the vomiting starts up again however, or if she can't keep water down - then you will need to get her seen again this evening.

In the morning, try Basilia with some bland food. Hopefully by the morning she is more interested in eating and a bland diet like cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice (1/3 chicken, 2/3 rice) would be ideal for the next few days. Continue to encourage her to drink plenty of fresh water as well. If the vomiting starts up again, or if your girl seems particularly lethargic in the morning, then you are best to get her back to your regular Vet for a follow up check and to possibly stay in the Veterinary hospital on intravenous fluids and nutritional support from the nursing staff.

You could also try your girl with a little pepcid this evening. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here:

Best of luck with your girl and I hope Basilia makes a speedy recovery. As above - if the vomiting starts up again and your girl can't keep water down, then get her seen again straight away. If she can't keep liquids down, then she will quickly become dehydrated.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she salivates but no too much, in the evening was really hard the salivation,

i have here in home omeprazole 20 mg and esomeprazole 10 and 2.5 mg, also ranitidine 150 mg and dimeticone.

can she die because of the alcaly?

im so scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Maria,

Those are excellent medications - just stick with what has been prescribed and don't change the dosage or add in any other drugs then. In a very large ingestion, metabolic alkalosis could potentially occur. There are a few signs of a severe metabolic alkalosis including weakness, twitching and seizures. It doesn't sound like Basilia has any of these which is great. You will need to continue to keep an eye on her however and if any of these occur - get her straight back down to you local Vet again.

You can read more about this online here:

You are doing your best for your girl, and with your vet's care, it is more than likely she will be absolutely fine - so don't be scared. Do keep an eye on her though, and if you aren't happy with how she is doing, get her straight back down to your Vet.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you give me please the esomeprazol dose please?

her weight is 10 kg

the vet didn't give us antacid for her, and i think she need it

yes, i m scared because of the metabolic alkalosis, i m a nephrologist

Hi Maria,

You can find dosage information on Petplace online.

You should ideally discuss either of these medications with your regular Vet before using them. Ranitdine is generally pretty safe however.

Keep in touch,

Dr E