How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 18929
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a handful of grapes. I immediately call the Vet,

This answer was rated:

My dog ate a handful of grapes. I immediately call the Vet, the Dr said to give her hydrogen peroxide a few tablespoons to cause her to vomit. To then call Animal Poison Control and get further advice from them as to procedure. I did. Animal Poison Control said not to give her anymore peroxide.( I gave her about 5 tablespoons) and to bring her to my Vet to induce vomiting there and then have the Dr call them and discuss the contents of the vomit and the options from there. I did all that the suggested, the Dr called them back and said they suggested to bring her to emergency vet care and have her on intraveneous fluids for 48 hours. I do not have the finances for this kind of expense. I just spent $300.00 on emergency care and poison control fees. It seems a little extreme. My Dr. felt it was as well and there is no guarantee she will or will not have an adverse effect from the ingestion. Each animal is different. My Dr advised closely monitoring her tonite and take her in if necessary. Her took a blood sample to get a baseline of her kidney function, and I will be going back tomorrow for a complete bloodworkup and check her kidney values again, and then again the next day to check function. I will set the alarm for every 2 hours tonite to monitor her and bring her in if anything seems not right. Do you feel this is a viable option to take care of her tonite and over the next few days to keep her safe? Thank you for your time and consideration. Best regards. Sandra
Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. How much does your dog weigh in pounds? { I will check the toxicity }

2. Roughly how many grapes would you estimate she has swallowed?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scott,

Maya weighs about 78 lbs, She ate about 15-20 grapes. She vomited up it seemed all of them. They were whole and undigested. I noticed on a few websites Vets suggested to give the dogs charcoal to absorb toxins, which they did not do. I am a little concerned and wondered how important that is and if I should run out and purchase some or if it is too late. I look forward to hearing from you.

Hello again Sandra and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. I am quite encouraged for the following reasons :

A. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center studies suggest that the lowest documented toxic studies suggest the lowest documented toxic raisin dose is 0.1 oz/kg and 10 to 12 grapes in a 20 pound dog. Going on this Maya would have to have swallowed around 40 grapes before you would need to be concerned.

You can check this information HERE

B. If she vomited up all the grapes and they where whole and undigested then the chances are you have nothing to worry about as the toxin would not have been in her system long enough to cause any problem. I personally have never know a dog have problems with grape toxicity where vomiting was induced within the first hour or so after ingestion.

2. Grape toxicity is a strange toxin and little understood so at the end of the day you should work with you vet if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing. But from what you have told me so far I would be very surprised if Maya comes to any harm.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you so much for your very sound feedback. I also felt encouraged when I saw the contents of her stomach come up with the grapes undigested. ASPCA however still recommended she be on IV fluids for 48 hours. To be honest I was not comfortable with that suggestion, and yet I understand they play out the worst case possible to protect you and your animal companion from a fatal incident I am very pleased to have found this website and you. I feel better about my decision with Maya and I will monitor her tonite and over the next few days . Thank you again for your feedback , information and time. I will keep you in my bookmarks!

Best regards, Sandra

Hello again Sandra,

Very glad to have advised you ...

I will be about for a further three hours if you want to talk things over further and I will contact you in 48 hours or so to check how Maya is getting on.


Dr Scott Nimmo and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Veterinary Questions