Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

my dog developed blisters on her muzzle. it also is swollen.

my dog developed blisters on her muzzle. it also is swollen. I gave her Benadryl last night and noticed the swelling went down some.. not all of it, the blisters broke overnight and were red this morning. tonight when I got home her muzzle is all "scarred " and she lost her fur in that area. I cant imagine what she got into.. any suggestions?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Willow.
Well, it could be any number of things including having stuck her face into some type of plant causing a reaction. A insect bite or sting reaction is possible including bees and spider bites.

Benadryl is good to give and should be repeated.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

But!
What you are really missing is a steroid shot from the vet. One of the fastest ways to resolve swelling and get a pet over a allergic reaction is a steroid, so that is well worth considering as soon as possible.

Also, instead of neosporin, you can apply a hydrocortisone cream for inflammation. Any over the counter generic hydrocortisone can be used.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Raquel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willow. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you dr Andy.. it looks as though the rash is starting to heal now.. it looks better every day. raquel

Great!
Very happy to hear that Raquel.

Have a nice evening.