Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Can my dog get fleas if I regularly use a preventative?

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the flea product and how often do you use it?
2- Are you seeing fleas on your dog?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Frontline once a month spring, summer, and fall. I am not seeing fleas. I pull some of the scabs on her head off tonight they are very small. I couldn't see anything under the magnifying glass. I just don't know what else it could be.

In response to your question, yes, dogs can get fleas while on Frontline if the environmental burden is very large. In other words, sometimes the premises is so infested with fleas that the dog will continue to get reinfected before the Frontline does it's job. The scabs you are describing sound like a bacterial infection, not a flea problem. This is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the medication below. If she does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.
3- After washing affected area as above apply the neosporin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above or if they begin to spread follow up with your family veterinarian she will need oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter