Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a 11 month old yellow lab. This afternoon his right

I have a 11 month old yellow lab. This afternoon his right eye lid was swollen and irritated as the day has worn on now his left eye a snoot are swollen also. He still has an appetite and is not lethargic.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?
2- Has he been scratching his eye (s)?
3- Did he get into anything?
4- Is he on any medications?
5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He did not scratch his eye although he is itching and scratching his head more than usual. He is not on medications other than his monthly heartworm and flea and tick meds. He eats blue buffalo large breed puppy food that he has always eaten. He weighs 77 pounds.

Eric, it sounds like he is having an allergic reaction either to something he came in contact in the environment or ate. I would recommend you start him on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg 3 tablets (75mg) every 12 hours for the next 5 days. If the swelling is not better by the morning have him checked by family veterinarian. You can buy benadryl over the counter in any pharmacy.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I use tablet or liquid and should I get Children or adult Benadryl

Adult benadryl, 25mg tablets; give 3 tablets which is 75mg every 12 hours for 5 days. It does not matter if it is liquid or tablet as long as it is 75mg.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter