Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8 year old labradoodle seems to be constipated. He is dragging

My 8 year old labradoodle seems to be constipated. He is dragging his behind on the grass and floor and the stool that he does have seems very dry. He is eating and drinking. This has been going on since last night.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he straining to defecate?
2- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seems to be straining because he makes several attempts at a time. He goes into the woods, so I am watching at a distance for the most part. He is a little under 50lbs.

Laura, it is very possible what you are seeing in Chewie to be the result of being constipated. But, it can also be that he has his anal glands full and need to be expressed. The anal glands are located inside the rectum and sometime we need to manually express them. I would have him checked by your groomer or vet's office, they will express his anal glands within minutes for a small fee. In case if he is constipated this is what you can do:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 2-3 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to his food.
3- As a stool softener you can give 1 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 tablespoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter