Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

my dog was chewing sticks today and I think a sliver of wood

my dog was chewing sticks today and I think a sliver of wood is lodged in or under his gums or cheek it is slightly swollen but he doesnt want me to mess with it

Dr. Altman :

Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.

Dr. Altman :

So sorry to hear Tin-Shu might have a piece of stick wedged

Dr. Altman :

Sometimes they will come out on their own within a few days but unfortunately other times we need to sedate a dog to do a full oral exam to find the piece of wood/ sliver and remove it

Dr. Altman :

In the meanwhile softening his food with some water before meals for 10-15 minutes and if there is no change in the next 24-48 hours it might require a veterinary visit to sedate him and remove anything that might be in there

Dr. Altman :

He likely can have a larger amount of aspirin for pain. How much does he weigh please?

Customer:

over 50 for sure but under 70

Dr. Altman :

To be safe let's say 50 pounds

Dr. Altman :

This would mean about 200 mg aspirin with food. This can be 2 & 1/2 baby aspirin 81 mg every 12 hours with food

Customer:

he has always healed fast I gave him a bone and filled the cavity with a bit of peanut butter to maybe help him work it out

Customer:

okay

Dr. Altman :

Let's hope it will slowly move its way out, this can happen in some cases. Unfortunately other cases can form more of a capsule around it and it can abscess

Dr. Altman :

If you can slowly and methodically look from one side of his mouth hourly to the other. Meaning under one lip really well all the way around, then under the tongue, then the other lip. Also if he is panting trying to look downward with a flashlight

Dr. Altman :

At least you will have an idea where the problem is

Dr. Altman :

I would also be taking his temperature every 12 hours to ensure he is not running a fever

Dr. Altman :

100-102.5 is normal, over 103 I would get him to a vet for antibiotics at least

Dr. Altman :

And smelling his breath for any strong metallic or infection odors

Customer:

okay I gave him the bay aspirin as soon as we got hope hoped to head off some of the pain so I can get a look.

Dr. Altman :

And if you do need to go to the vet please let them know you were giving aspirin because it will effect what they can dispense

Dr. Altman :

Let's hope

Dr. Altman :

You can also try TWO adult 25 mg benadryl to sedate a little bit

Customer:

right. well I hope that wont be the case. I dont drive and the closest vet is two towns away

Dr. Altman :

Let's hope

Dr. Altman :

If there is swelling you can use warm compresses to increase blood flow and hopefully help this resolve

Dr. Altman :

Not hot just warm

Customer:

Thank you had to do that before on my cat.

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome

Dr. Altman :

No more sticks to chew on!

Dr. Altman :

How else can I assist you today?

Customer:

we were out mushroom hunting here in Oregon and I think he got tired of us.. thanks and we will go from here

Dr. Altman :

You are welcome

Dr. Altman :

Please don't hesitate to contact me if anything changes and you need further assistance

Customer:

will do have a good night

Dr. Altman :

You as well...

Dr. Altman :

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Dr. Altman :

I am going to exit to assist others with questions but will return momentarily if you have any additional questions I can assist with...

If you are satisfied with our conversation please "rate" our chat excellent or good so I can be compensated for my time. Thank you
Hi Raven,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tin-Shu. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman