Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

my dog sounds like hes having an asthma attack. Mainly when

my dog sounds like he's having an asthma attack. Mainly when he's moving around. Behavior, eating, etc. normal. Could it be allergies? Do I have to take him in?

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Mickey and the issues he is having. That is good his behavior is normal but it is concerning that he is having these breathing issues. If these continue or worsen he should be seen right away as they are most likely something more severe than just allergies. But if he is doing ok right now you can try some antihistamines. If this occurs because of allergies then the antihistamines can help and settle down his breathing. I would try plain over the counter Benadryl at a rate of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. The dose in dogs is higher than in humans so it may seem like a high dose but that is why. I would give him 24 to 48 hours to see if there is improvement. If you see improvement you can continue giving the benadryl for a couple weeks and see if they resolve. If anything worsens or does not improve then he will need to be seen to make sure there is nothing more going on in his longs. I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help! Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!