Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

A vet told us to put salve on the dogs skin as he is scratching

A vet told us to put salve on the dog's skin as he is scratching a lot, but she didn't say what kind. Do you know what she means?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello. This is Dr. Christian.

Dr. Christian K. :

Does Mijo take any medications or have other medical conditions besides his skin?

Dr. Christian K. :

Is his whole body itchy or are there a few spots that are a problem? Did your vet tell you the cause of the scratching?

I've switched away from the chat function because it has been buggy tonight. Were you able to see my questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry...I was wondering why you were disconnected! It's mostly his backside, the base of his tail and the front of his hind legs. My mom actually took him to the vet as I working. The vet said that it may be his anal glands, and that we should put salve on it for a couple weeks and then they would call me in a couple weeks and if it wasn't better, they would prescribe something. No one has called. It was kind of a dirty pink at first, but now it is much darker. I have no idea what kind of salve to use. Can you give me an idea?

I'm assuming that your vet recommended cortisone cream. It is a steroid cream that you can buy in any pharmacy and will help with itching. I would also consider using a triple antibiotic ointment. That is a lot of places to apply ointment though so I would consider calling your vet about getting medications now rather than waiting. Oral medications will be more effective. If you have more questions please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, I can use regular triple antibiotic ointment or cortisone cream that I would use? I will try a little and call the local vet tomorrow I guess. So, what do you think it is? The glands or an allergy? She said it isn't fleas.

My bet would be allergies. Anal glands will cause the rear end to itch but would not affect other parts of the body. You can use ointment you would use.

Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior