Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My female lab has the runs & each time she it has blood

My female lab has the runs & each time she poops it has blood in it. Help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any vomiting?
3- Is she lethargic?
4- Did she get into anything?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. at least a month or so.

2. sometimes

3. not really she has lost weight though

4. other than fruit of the tree or a lizard or two that all i can think of.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
John, bloody loose stool is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon), she has colitis. There are many possible causes for colitis, it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, parasites, IBS, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. The fact this has been ongoing for 1 month I would place parasites, IBS or part of a systemic disease high on the list of possible causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. The pepto bismol will make the bleeding worst.

2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into a grain free diet like Taste of Wild.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Consider getting her dewormed you can buy Panacur (fenbendazole) in some pet stores or online (amazon.com). Give it once a day at label dose for 3 days, repeat after 3 weeks.

5- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours, have her checked by your family veterinarian. If cost is a concern consider having her checked by your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you ! one more question she has also runnie eyes is that possible allergeys or is that possibly a connected to the colitis.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
No John, her runny eyes are not related to the colitis. If the discharge is clear it could be allergies or she may have an occluded nasal lacrimal duct. You can pick up over the counter eyewash and flush her eyes to clear any possible debris in the duct opening. When you flush her eyes focus on the lower inner lid where the duct is located. In addition, start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 50mg every 12 hours. If that does not help she will need a hands on examination by family veterinarian.

You're Welcome.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi John,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kope. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter