Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

Treatment for histiocytoma?

Treatment for histiocytoma?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
If it has been definitively diagnosed as a histiocytoma, many vets will do nothing with them. Over a period of 1-3 months, they can often spontaneously regress and disappear.

Histiocytoma

Often, vets do literally nothing. Not even a topical medication.
Unless it is in an area that is getting injured like an elbow hitting the ground, or its getting infected because a dog is chewing/licking it, surgery may not be indicated.

Another condition that would warrant surgery is if it is growing quite large, and it is in an area where it could be difficult to remove like by an eye.

Otherwise, generally, waiting for about 3-5 months.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate if you are not satisfied yet or have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.