Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 8 month old golden chewed up some random things in my daughters

My 8 month old golden chewed up some random things in my daughters room. It looks like the majority he chewed and spit out. But he definitely prudent swallowed some things. Like plastic from a pen and maybe some wood. I'm sure some was sharp, but all the pieces so small. He is running and playing outside and he ate. Had a normal stool, but I'm sure this was from what he ate this morning and not the toys, etc. However, he is laying down a lot. I carried my vet and they said I can monitor him or bring him in. Not very helpful. I know it's a general response, but I'm wondering how concerned I should be. He is big, almost 60 pounds. He's eaten sticks and paper before and bits of his toys without incident. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

The concern with ingestion of a foreign body would be an obstruction or perforation of the bowel (intestines). Not knowing exactly what he could have ingested it will be difficult to predict the degree of concern. This is what you can do:

1- Change his diet for the next 3-5 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move any potential foreign body out in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract.
2- If during the next 3-5 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.