Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My puppy woke up very early screaming and winning and peeing

My puppy woke up very early screaming and winning and peeing all over and was favoring her right leg aftrr we calmed her down she has been completely fine the rest of the day what could have been wrong
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions first that will help me better assist you.

Was this a rear leg or front leg?

What breed is Baby Girl?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Right front leg....chocolate lab

Thank you Marie....

The larger breed dogs have growth spurts at the ends of their long bones that causes an Epiphysitis and pain. Most likely your Baby Girl moved the wrong way ending up on this area that she is growing from which caused an intense shooting pain. This resolves quickly with movement and this is why she is now normal and not even lame. Since baby Girl is so young, she may have other periods like this and days of shifting lameness....this is all normal and will resolve as she grows.

I would not be at all worried about this, Marie...it is just the cost of growing.

Does that make sense to you, Marie?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It scared me to death my husband flew out of bed kids where freaking out ...I think I was the worst because she is my baby and goes everywhere with me ...I held her the whole time she went through that it was scary I knew it could not be bad cause she was sleeping it just made me un easy

Oh Marie...I totally understand...it can be so scary when you do not know if something really terrible had happened. Hopefully, this will be the only time it is that severe but be prepared for some minor pain as she grows from the ends of her long bones.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Thank you so much, Marie for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how your Baby Girl is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything I can do to help her

If she has some lameness, you can give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This type of shocking pain may subside after a short period...if it does not, then the aspirin will take away the pain.

Your vet, Marie, will have other pain relievers also.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good morning, Marie. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on your Baby Girl. Has there been any other episodes? Thanks!