Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My male toy poodle is 12 years old, He had an episode yesterday

My male toy poodle is 12 years old, He had an episode yesterday with hard large feces and then some bloody spots mixed with feces and just a few bloody spots only, was sort of mucousy. Should I call the vet? He is usually very private with his bowel movements and will be hard for me to check behind him for further episodes. Thank you

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Is Turbo having any other problems such as increase in water consumption, increased urinations, vomiting, intermittent loose stool, coughing? And I do want to confirm he is still eating well.

A bit of blood around some formed stool is not an emergency. This happens when the colon is irritated, which can be caused by something as simple as ingesting an unusual item (like a bug or similar) that has irritated the stool on the way out. I worry more if the stool is quite loose, or if he has true constipation that he is having difficulty moving this stool (constipation is a symptom of dehydration; therefore we have to figure out why he is dehydrated, if he is having continuous difficulty passing his stool).

Dr. Joey :

If there is a fair bit of blood around his stool on a regular basis, then his veterinarian does need to do an exam and a rectal evaluation to make sure he does not have a rectal mass/polyp or anal sac issue (infection).

Customer:

I gave him a glucosomine tablet the night before, I usually ground this up but only cut in half and gave with food. Could that have possibly caused this. He is eating and not taking more water than usual. He was playful this morning outside. How long could I possibly see blood.

Dr. Joey :

If he has had this supplement before, then it should not be the cause. And it should not matter if you administer it as a tablet or ground up. By the time it makes it through his digestive tract it dissolves and is processed.

Since he seems stable, I recommend monitor him for a day or two. If you find there is consistent blood in his stool, then take him in to be seen. One other possible cause are intestinal parasites (like whipworms or hookworms); so take a stool sample with you to his visit.

Customer:

That does ease my mind some as he is an advanced age. He is having some trouble getting up and down sometimes as if his back legs are hurting. I assume arthritis. If I see more blood or any of these other signs, I will call his vet. Thank you so much.

Dr. Joey :

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.