Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years of veterinary practice in small animal medicine
18324312

The dog I am sitting for ate 2 600mg of Omega 3 this morning

The dog I am sitting for ate 2 600mg of Omega 3 this morning and now has diarrhea. Will this pass or should I take her to an animal ER?
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I apologize for the amount of time this reply has taken to get back to you. Our overnight staff is smaller, and questions concerning life and death must be given priority.
I understand your concern for Bridget, but she's lucky this time. 1200 mg of Omega 3 should not even upset her stomach, but if it should, a teaspoon of Pepto Bismol or one half of a Pepto Bismol non-chewable caplet should make her feel better very quickly. This dose can be repeated in 4 hours and up to four doses, if needed, which I seriously doubt. I think she'll be just fine with no treatment whatsoever, but if you should have any more questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Diarrhea has not subsided after two doses of 1 tsp Pepto, appx 6 hrs apart. The last time Bridget went out there were no stools or diarrhea, she was straining to poop and a small amount of blood appeared (as if someone with piles). She doesn't not seem to be in pain, nor is she running a fever. What should I do now?

Hello again.
The oil in the omega 3 is acting like a laxative, but it should pass in the next day or two. The Pepto can be given every four hours for two days with no problem. Feed her a bland diet of cottage cheese and boiled rice mixed half and half, one cup per meal, three meals per day. Gradually substitute her regular diet over the following four days. The lining of dogs' intestines are more delicate and they bleed much more readily than humans, so less serious problems can cause blood to appear. There is a slight chance of pancreatitis, so if she isn't better, or seems to be getting worse in the next two days, don't hesitate to contact your veterinarian. If you still should have any questions, please let me know.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Hi Cyndi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bridget. How is everything going?

Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is doing great. Thank you so much for your help. You enabled me to get through a scary week taking care of my cousin's pet. I would have loved to make additional comments on your service but I just didn't have anymore funds available.

Hello again, Cyndi. I'm delighted to read of Bridget's recovery. I understand your concern. It's tough enough when it's our own dog, but we tend to feel doubly responsible when we're caring for someone else's pet. If I may be of assistance to you in the future, please let me know.
Warm regards,
Dr. Bob