Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

hello, I took my miniature schnauzer on a trip with me and

I took my miniature schnauzer on a trip with me and on one of the walks there were horses very close to her. around the area that we were in (small tourist hill) there was horse poop in different areas. However, I tried my best so she would not sniff any or step on any. I am afraid that she might get something, a worm or tick. She has all her vaccines up to date and the week before we left she had Frontline and deworming. Are there any signs I should be looking for just in case? Thanks for your help greatly appreciated.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Dixie.

Well, unless she was ingesting some of the horse feces, I am not really concerned about her getting anything from the feces.

Generally monthly deworming should keep you out of trouble.

As far as ticks, you can only do so much. I would simply carefully check through her coat to look for any attached ticks, which will sometimes look like a black mole when attached. Make sure to check under the neck, belly and armpits.

Signs to look for will be fairly general:
- vomiting
- intermittent soft stools or diarrhea
- blood in the stool
- irregular panting to suggest nausea or pain
- loss of appetite

Frontline can kill ticks but they can still attach, so still worth thumbing through her coat to ensure no obvious attached ticks. That should do it.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate if you are not satisfied yet or have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.