Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I have a 12 week old pup.... vomiting yellow for the last 2

I have a 12 week old pup.... vomiting yellow for the last 2 days.... ate very little saturday morning...still tries to drink water but throws it up within 30 minutes... giving pepto bismol every 6 hours to try to calm stomach down...no diarrhea noted at this time... not much urination but it is clear when he went today...just lying around and just want to get him through the night...vet will see him at 9 in morning... no emergency vets around....is there anything i can give him to help him make it through the night... he looks terrible His gums still have a little pink in them..enough that you can see the color come back in immediately after you touch them... I didn't know if I could rub some sugar mixture on his gums or something...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 10 months ago.

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello. This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help Yukon.

Dr. Christian K. :

Is he able to keep any water down?

Customer : NO.... he keep bring it up within 30 minutes..
Dr. Christian K. :

The main goal overnight is to keep him hydrated and his blood sugar up. There really aren't any medications that you can give for vomiting. Don't worry about any food overnight. How much does he weigh?

Customer : he weighed in at 21 pounds last week
Dr. Christian K. :

Try giving 2-3 tablespoons of water mixed with honey or karo syrup every hour. That will help keep his blood sugar up and perhaps he can keep that small amount of water down. If he can't even keep that down then you can smear the honey/karo syrup on his gums and that will absorb to keep his blood sugar up. It doesn't have to be much, a teaspoon would be enough.

Customer : ok.... I will try honey... I have no Karo in the house... anything else I shoud watch for... I am very nervous he won't make it through the night... he was walking around and does respond with movement when petted but he just seems so weak
Dr. Christian K. :

Unfortunately, this is one of those situations where I would recommend a visit to the emergency vet but that isn't an option here. The best you can do is to keep him as hydrated as you can and prevent a low blood sugar. Making sure he keeps warm is also important. You can use a heating pad but always put it on low and put a blanket between him and the pad. Even a pad set on low can burn the skin if he is directly touching it.

Customer : ok.... the nearest emergency vet is almost 2 hours away... I live way out in the country...my regular vet is 30 miles from here but can not see him until 9 in the morning...if I can keep a little water in him and the honey every hour do you think he will make it for 9 more hours...
Dr. Christian K. :

Unfortunately, it's impossible to know under these circumstances. If your vet opens before 9 am then I'd be standing at their door the minute they open rather than waiting until 9.

Customer : I will be there the second the doors open... he just seems to have taken a turn for the worse here in the last few hours...
Dr. Christian K. :

If you think he continues to worsen despite the honey then you may have to make the trip tot he emergency vet.

Customer : ok.... if I have any more questions id=
Dr. Christian K. :

I'll be online for another 1/2 hour or so.

Customer : oops... if I have any more questions is there a way for me to chat with you again tonight
Customer : ok... I will try the honey now and pray it works...
Dr. Christian K. :

Good luck. I hope he feels better soon.

Customer : Thank You for being available... I truely appreciate your assistance
Customer : A good sign is he just lifted his head to see what I was getting out of the cupboard...
Dr. Christian K. :

You're very welcome. That a pretty good sign. :)

Customer : Thanks again!
Dr. Christian K. :

Good luck

Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
Hi Jacqueline,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Yukon. How is everything going?

Dr. Christian K.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Christian K.,

Just now have a chance to update you about Yukon... Thanks to your advice Yukon made it through the night... I set my alarm for every hour and rubbed honey on his gums and turned up the heat in the room where he slept to 84 and at 7 a.m. I packed him up and took him straight to the vets office (Tuesday October 9th) and he was admitted to the hospital... six days later he came home saved from PARVO... My regular vet told me that your advice helped me save him... keeping his glucose level up was the most important thing I could have done for him... PARVO cases are hard to save but my vet told me that you advice had helped keep his glucose level and his body temp up which helped keep his organs strong till the IVs could be administered with the proper meds and glucose going into him to help him overcome this awful virus... Thank You again for all your help and for saving Yukons' life...

You don't know how happy I am to hear that. I'm so glad he's doing well. You've made my weekend. :)