Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My little pom mix got into my macadamia today. She had

My little pom mix got into my macadamia nuts today. She had one almost 8 hours ago and at least two more in the past hour. Is she definitely going to exhibit symptoms? How long does it take before the symptoms occur? Should I take her to the vet as a preventative measure?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Missy.

Well, only 1 nut, even for a small pom over 8 hours ago would not really be of any concern.

What about 2 more nuts?

Macadamia Nut Toxicity

The above link is a very nice summary about the toxicity including toxic doses.
Now, you'll read that toxicity was seen at doses as low as 2.7grams per kilogram body weight.

Let's say your pet weighs 8 pounds. That's about 3.6 kilograms.

So, 2.7 x 3.6 = a toxic dose as low as ~10 grams of nuts.

A single nut weighs about 2.7 grams. So, that would be about 5.5 grams ingested, but the lowest possible toxicity was seen at about 10grams.

Even if your dog weighed less, at about 6-7 pounds, I am not concerned about having ingested two more nuts.

I would still read the link I provided very carefully so you know more about toxicity and symptoms, but I think you are in good shape, and no preventative measure needed at this time.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate if you are not satisfied yet or have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has now thrown up 3 times and is shaking like crazy. We're in Sacramento, it's not cold here.

I am sorry to hear she is not feeling well.
If vomiting and shaking, to suggest nausea, I am concerned she has either ingested more than 2 nuts or she has ingested something else.

I do feel it is well worth an emregency trip if you are observing symptoms.

I wouldn't suggest a wait and see approach.
The shaking or tremors generally supports nausea, pain, or toxicity.

Toxicity should be unlikely based on 2 nuts. So, there may be a separate issue of concern.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She may have gotten into more than I caught her. She has stopped shaking for the most part and is asleep in my lap. Should I take her to an vet ER? Or wait until morning since she's calmed down now?

Yes Lori. I must assume that is the case, and based on my math, if she got into let's say 6 or more, instead of 2, that would be enough to cause possible sickness.

Yes, I do vote for the ER at this point.
I wouldn't wait since we know macadamia nuts were ingested and can be toxic. In addition, we really don't know now how much she ate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help. Her vitals were OK and she was mostly stable when we got to the emergency vet. She still has the tremors but they let me bring her home with instructions on how to make her comfortable and what to look for, and she should be back to normal in 24 - 48 hours. I feel much better about things. Thank you again for recommending I take her in

You are very welcome Lori.
Hope everything is improved by this morning.

Good Luck
Hi Lori,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Missy. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for asking. She had a couple rough days but today she is back to her happy monkey self!

Great Lori.
Very happy to hear it. I know it must have been a long few days for you.

Have a nice evening.