Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

What are the normal range of diabetic numbers for dogs?

Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Max.
Great question!

Every pet is different. There is not necessarily a specific guideline that all vets use. More important then numbers, is also how well the pet is doing at home. Is there appetite okay? If they were drinking a lot and peeing a lot, has that improved.

But, a few key points:
1. The blood sugar is never flat. We expect it to be high in the early morning before eating and insulin, as well as, high in the evening before the evening meal and insulin again. It is like a rollercoaster and that is normal.

Ideally, at its lowest, we would not want to dip below about 70 roughly in the middle of the day.

In early morning and before evening insulin, I have seen well regulated diabetics who still get up to about 270.
For me, once they start hitting 300 or more, repeatedly, I start questioning how well they are regulated.

Also, for pets who have been on insulin for months, there is another blood test that is great for assessing a pet's overall regulation. It is called a Fructosamine. This test is more like a average of blood sugars over a 2 week time period.

So, I would say, for me, a range of 70 to 270 is by basic guideline.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate if you are not satisfied yet or have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Eileen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?