Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My 9 yr old boxer was started on Prednisone for a milinary

My 9 yr old boxer was started on Prednisone for a milinary pattern most likely lung cancer with unknow origin. Abd ct came back normal and labs were normal....
When I called for a referral to a Vet Radiologist, my vet vet said that since he started Prednisone no other tests can be performed. I worry that if it is a fungal infection and a chance to treat is ticking. Thoughts?
Thank You
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Frazier.
Yes, it is possible for prednisone to interfere with some testing.
It is similar to why vets do not like to do urine testing while a pet is still on antibiotics.

But, in a serious situation like this, with very definitive changes in the lungs, I highly doubt just being a prednisone is going to cover up a primary disease process like cancer.

So, although I am not privy to the entire case history, I do feel that there are possible other tests that could be considered.

Vet radiologist? All they would do is interpret the x-rays already taken. Why would that be prohibited by being on a steroid. It wouldn't.

So, I suggest you get a copy of all records and the x-rays, and simply consult a internal medicine specialist. Easiest course of action with least delay.

Find Various Specialists
--> Under "specialty" select SAIM = Small Animal Internal Medicine
--> Or, you can search for a Neurologist, Cardiologist or Oncologist

So many specialists out there! Nothing to lose getting a second opinion. I agree with you...not worth the delay if some alternative courses of action could be taken with the assistance of a specialist on what to choose first.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate if you are not satisfied yet or have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr Andy...I think I shall follow your suggestions.

Your welcome Julie.
I have never met Frazier, but would never want to delay possible testing opportunities because of the use of prednisone. At least worth the specialist consult to see what they say.

Good Luck!