Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Yorkie that weighs less than 10 pounds, Im pretty sure

My Yorkie that weighs less than 10 pounds, I'm pretty sure just ingested 1 60 mg capsule of Vyvanse. Should I do something to make him vomit since he just took it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she took the pill?
2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has been about 5 minutes since I believe he took it. I think one fell on the floor and he got it. I'm not 100 percent sure, but think so.

I do hydrogen peroxide. I went and got it a second ago, as I remember something about it but wasn't sure how to get him to ingest it either.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On his own, he just spit up the capsule. It was softened, but had not opened where any of the medicine inside got into him so he's okay, right>

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am confused, he did spit up the pill?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, right after my first response to you I saw on the floor where he had spit it up.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Great!! If the pill was only softened he did not get any of the vyvanse, no need to induce vomiting; no toxicity or symptoms expected. He will be fine.
As a future reference the dose for peroxide to induce vomiting is 1 teaspoon orally for every 10 lbs. Can be repeated within 5-10 minutes if he doesn't vomit, total of 3 times.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.