Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

I have a dogo argentino looks and the size of an american

I have a dogo argentino looks and the size of an american bulldog weight is 86 lbs. took him to the vet diagnosed with a yeast / bacteria infection of the ear he prescribed surolan otic 30ml prednisone 20mg tablets and heres where i think my problem is cephalexin capsules 500mg two tablets twice a day for 5 days today is day four and this morning he can hardly pee he is going but takes him 3 or 4 minutes he has short broken streams . without much force ' i checked side affects and it is listed as a side affect so i called my vet and he said that cant have anything to do with it, it has to be a urinary track or bladder infection , which makes no sense to me since cephalexin is also used to treat that, so how did he get that when he has 3 days of meds on board. he wants me to bring him in for another office visit and urinary testing. after what I read about the side affects , and my vets response i feel he just wants more money . and the 2000mg a day of cephalexin seems to much for a 86lb dog . what do you advise thanks for the help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

It is not due to the cephalexin. The cephalexin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, or lack of appetite.

The dose of cephalexin is 30 mg/kg twice a day. So the calculated dose for an 86 pound dog is 1172 mg twice a day. My own 80 pound dog is currently on cephalexin and he gets 1000 mg twice a day too.

The problem with cephalexin is that it is good for skin, and some respiratory infections, but it does not work well on urinary tract infections. I know this because I have sent out many urine samples for culture and sensitivity and they are almost always resistant to cephalexin.

He may be urinating like that because of the prednisone. Prednisone does cause an increase in thirst and urination. I can cause dogs to have accidents in the house as well.

But most likely, he does have a urinary tract infection and now he needs a different antibiotic.

The prednisone can cause frequent urination. You can ask your vet if you can boil a glass jar, to make it sterile, and drop off a urine sample since you were just there. You can catch some urine when he goes. Then you could skip the exam fee. Although most vet clinics would charge a "recheck exam" fee since he was just there. But you can ask about that.

Did that help? Let me know if you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

i have it right off a medical website on cephalexin side affects and it lists urinating less than usual or not at all as a serious side effect so why dint vets know this or acknowledge it as a side affect in dogs

Because the urinating in broken streams, and for a longer amount of time, is not considered urinating less than usual or not at all. It is considered "pollakiuria" which means urinating in smaller amounts or "dysuria" which means difficult urination.

If he is not urinating at all, or he can not urinate, that would be a medical emergency because that means his kidneys have shut down. That can be a side effect.

But taking longer to urinate and urinating in short streams indicates urinary tract inflammation rather than kidney disease. When the kidneys are not working, they stop making any urine. So he would not try to urinate because there would be no urine to come out.

This is from the Plumbs veterinary drug handbook which is what we always use.

Adverse Effects

Adverse effects with the cephalosporins are usually not serious and have a relatively low frequency of occurrence.

In addition to the adverse effects listed below, cephalexin has reportedly caused salivation, tachypnea and excitability in dogs, and emesis and fever in cats. Nephrotoxicity occurs rarely during therapy with cephalexin, but patients with renal dysfunction, receiving other nephrotoxic drugs or that are geriatric may be more susceptible. Interstitial nephritis, a hypersensitivity reaction, has been reported with many of the cephalosporins including cephalexin. The incidence of these effects is not known.

Hypersensitivity reactions unrelated to dose can occur with these agents and can manifest as rashes, fever, eosinophilia, lymphadenopathy, or full-blown anaphylaxis. The use of cephalosporins in patients documented to be hypersensitive to penicillin-class antibiotics is controversial. In humans, it is estimated 1-15% of patients hypersensitive to penicillins will also be hypersensitive to cephalosporins. The incidence of cross-reactivity in veterinary patients is unknown.

When given orally, cephalosporins may cause GI effects (anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea). Administering the drug with a small meal may help alleviate these effects. Because the cephalosporins may also alter gut flora, antibiotic-associated diarrhea or proliferation of resistant bacteria in the colon can occur.

Rarely, cephalexin has been implicated in causing toxic epidermal necrolysis in cats.

While cephalosporins (particularly cephalothin) have the potential for causing nephrotoxicity at clinically used doses in patients with normal renal function, risks for the occurrence of this adverse effect appear minimal.

High doses or very prolonged use has been associated with neurotoxicity, neutropenia, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia, hepatitis, positive Coomb's test, interstitial nephritis, and tubular necrosis. Except for tubular necrosis and neurotoxicity, these effects have an immunologic component

So I think you are seeing urinary tract signs rather than signs of the kidneys failing. Nephrotoxic means kidneys. Other signs of kidney disease are vomiting and lack of appetite.

Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
Hi Robert,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mondo. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby