Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a 14+/- year old miniature poodle. She seems to snore

Customer Question

I have a 14+/- year old miniature poodle. She seems to snore loudly (almost a wheez); and a couple times a day she has heaving fits. Other than that, she seems normal. She seems thin, but eats normal. Does she need to go to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed veterinarian and I would be happy to assist you. First, let me gather more information. Does she snore loudly only when she is asleep, or when she is awake, too? Has she been losing weight in the past year, or has she always been thin? Do her fits look anything like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdPUX8mnFE4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ann,

Yes, her fits are very much like the link you provided.

Yes, she does snore fairly loud while sleeping.

She has always been thin, she does feel more 'bony' now than I can recall; but she gets a lot less exercise since our golden retriever passed 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Okay. The fits in the link are called Reverse Sneezing, and are common in small breed dogs. It is caused by the soft palate and the epiglottis getting caught over each other, and it typically will resolve on its own. They are not anything to worry about, and if the fits bother you, you can try plugging her nose, which can cause negative pressure and can help the fit resolve quicker.

The snoring happens more as the dogs get older, just like in humans. :) I would not worry about the snoring.

I am a bit concerned about the decreased weight, especially since she gets less exercise so you'd think that she would be heavier now. Dogs with chronic issues can slowly lose weight and muscle mass. Possible health issues that could cause this kind of muscle and weight loss would be heart disease, kidney disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. Of all the symptoms you listed above, the weight loss is the only one that is potentially concerning, and it may be worth a trip to the vet just to have a physical exam and possible blood work to check for common disease of older dogs.

I hope that I have answered your question about Ginger thoroughly... if you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ann,

A follow up: per:

'Possible health issues that could cause this kind of muscle and weight loss would be heart disease, kidney disease, cancer, diabetes, etc. Of all the symptoms you listed above, the weight loss is the only one that is potentially concerning, and it may be worth a trip to the vet just to have a physical exam and possible blood work to check for common disease of older dogs.'

'common disease of older dogs'.... We love Ginger dearly, but we cannot afford an expensive treatment program if we found out she had cancer or something..

Are these 'common disease's' by and large expensive to treat all while she is rather old and can't live forever? I do not agree with prolonging life to live miserably (as we do with humans).

I guess I am trying to weigh your final piece of advice about the weight, perhaps I could try to fatten her up with changes in her food, more walks?

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I completely understand where you are coming from, and that is perfectly fine. You can try to have her gain weight by feeding her more, or feeding higher calorie canned food as a supplemental treat. I think it is a good idea to take her for more walks to help maintain her muscle tone, so that's a good idea. Yes, it would likely be costly to treat or manage any of those conditions, so I think as long as she is doing okay and is happy and not in pain it would be fine not to take her to a vet. As a veterinarian we always offer the best medical option first, and then tailor the plan to meet the desires and finances of the client and the immediate needs of the pet. I would try giving more dog treats or canned food in addition to the food you are currently feeding and see if that helps. Best of luck!
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ginger. How is everything going?

Dr. Ann M.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seems to be going well, Thank You. No problems, just trying to fatten her up.. lol

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Great! Have a great day.