Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

I took my chihuahua to the emergency vet yesterday morning

I took my chihuahua to the emergency vet yesterday morning and after bloodwork he was diagnosed with mile acute pancreatitus. They sent him home with water under his skin, an anti-diarrhea med, an antibiotic, and gave him an injection of something that stops nausea and vomiting for 24 hours.

Now, 24 hours later, he has eaten some, and drank some water, but he's still very low energy and just wants to sleep. He will get up to go to the bathroom outside. But in general, I can tell he's not feeling good.

What to do?

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

So, I read what the emergency vet gave him. What medications are you giving at home if any? Has he had any more vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am giving him an anti-diarrhea med orally every 8 hours. Also an oral antibiotic every 12 hours.

The emergency vet said to give him boiled hamburger and rice, and yesterday evening he wanted to eat a lot of it. Bu this morning he ate a couple of bites and left it.

He has not had any vomiting or diarrhea since I took him to the vet.

I know you love him, and are worried, but it does sound like he is improving.

Severe pancreatitis can take 2 weeks to resolve. So I would expect a mild pancreatitis to improve in 2-3 days once treatment is started.

If he were my dog, I would also start him on 1/4 of a 10 mg Pepcid ac tablet every 12 hours. The Pepcid is a human stomach acid reducer that will help decrease any excess acid in his stomach from antibiotic, pancreatitis, or not eating. That should help with his appetite as well. You can buy the Pepcid at any human drug store or grocery store.

It will probably take 2-3 days until he is eating as usual.

If he refuses to eat at meal time, you can help keep his blood sugar up by putting a few drops of honey, karo syrup, or pancake syrup in his mouth.

If he starts vomiting again, refuses to eat or drink for more than 12 hours, or he is very painful when you press on his abdomen under the ribs then he should see a vet.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please reply.

Hi Emily,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby