Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My mini golden doodle started having diarrhea sometime during

My mini golden doodle started having diarrhea sometime during the night. We gave him some dog cookies from a pet store and, unfortunately, some table scraps. We thought he was better this morning, seemed more like himself, very active and barking. We left him alone a couple of hours this afternoon and there were 2 diarrhea accidents, both very loose stool. He wants to rest, not wanting to play, but did drink some ater a few moments ago. He hasn't had anything today that is not his regular diet. No vomiting. What do I do at this point?

Dr. Whitehead :

Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Mousse. So far so good that he isn't vomiting and sounds like small improvements. The best thing to do is to switch him completely over to a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or boiled beef and rice for about 5 days. This bland diet will help settle down his tummy and on the 5th day you can mix the bland diet with his regular diet for a day then switch him back to normal diet. Also you can give pepto at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 lbs of body weight every 12 hours. This will help settle everything down also. You will most likely need to only use that for a couple days. Make sure he is drinking water, do not limit this, just make sure he doesn't sit down and drink a ton at one time because sometimes that will make them vomit on its own. If any vomiting does occur or if he worsens with the diarrhea then have him seen by your vet. You should see a significant improvement with the bland diet and pepto in 24 hours or so. Again make sure he isn't getting anything else besides the bland diet for the 5 days. no treats or anything. I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So Pepto Bismol is safe for pets? Any recommendation on how to administer?
Yes pepto is safe for pets at the dose that i stated, 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds of body weight. Just like most medications if to much is given it can be bad for them. You can mix the liquid in with the boiled chicken and rice or beef and rice and see if he will eat it that way or unfortunately you have to slowly poor it into his mouth while gently forcing his mouth open. in this case often times a turkey baster does help or a syringe helps or eye dropper.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He took it without any problem so I'll keep monitoring. Thank you very much!
Awesome! That makes it so much easier. You are very welcome. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!