Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 70 lb. black lab mix ate a few pellets of rat poisoning

My 70 lb. black lab mix ate a few pellets of rat poisoning about 4 hours ago. What should we do?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the name of the poison or active ingredient?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Give us a minute. We will have to look it up online.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

D-con pellets. We think she ate a few pellets

Jill, D-con has as an active ingredient an anticoagulant, meaning that it causes toxicity by inhibiting coagulation which leads to bleeding. The good news is that it takes about 1-2 days to exert it's effects so you have plenty of time to get treatment. The treatment is using vitamin k1 as an antidote. After 4 hours of ingestion there is not much you can do at home. The poison has moved out of the stomach after 2 hours and inducing vomiting will not help. Follow up in the morning with family veterinarian for vitamin k1, Juju will be fine until the morning.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I knew there was some restrictions related to time of consumption. That will give us some peace of mind until morning. I assume the vets will know about vitamin K.

I am certain your vet will know about vitamin k1.

You're welcome.

Dr. Peter
Hi Jill,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Juju. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter