Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
If it has been less than an hour yes I would induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 & 1/2 teaspoons and walk him around to mix the peroxide in his stomach to agitate the lining
If no vomiting in 10 minutes please repeat
The dose of steroids he could have ingested can cause some issues with the stomach and cause ulceration and even perforation so we want to get this out asap
If no vomiting within 20 minutes I would strongly advise going to a veterinary er where they can give stronger medication such as apomorphine to induce vomiting and give oral activated charcoal to minimize the absorption of the steroids
I will monitor for your entry to the chat and will wait while you administer the peroxide
You can use a turkey baster to get the peroxide in more readily or a syringe if you have one
You are welcome
Please keep me updated...
Positive thoughts for Charlie
Yes you would expect to see white goo in there. Is there any signs of that?
Well there are two options now
One is to not give another dose tonight and give an antacid in about 30 minutes to try to protect the stomach
Or go to the er to give activated charcoal as a precaution in case there are still enough to cause ulceration of the stomach that has already passed
If he ingested 16 mg or 16 pills were digested that would be the maximum for his size
If you think he likely brought up more than that and less than 10 pills remain then you would be alright
I would not feed for a few hours
Do you have pepcid or prilosec at home?
Go ahead and give him 1/2 tablet pepcid (10 mg) in about an hour or prilosec (20 mg) 1/2 tablet if this is what you have
This will hopefully help protect his stomach a bit to minimize the gi upset
I would also give him a meal in a few hours with white rice and half his normal dinner
Is there a date and quantity on the bottle?
And you give #2.5 tablets daily ? So we can estimate how many were in the bottle
When did you taper from the three/ day?
OK give me one moment to look at a calendar to see if I can give an approximation of how many was left
So approximately 37.5 were given
Meaning that 52.5 were in the bottle
Unfortunately that could be a good thing for Charlie
Removing the 20 you found on the floor that estimates about 32.5 tablets
If he brought up half of that you should be alright...
A maximum daily dose is 16 mg/ day
Does this make sense?
But I would be giving the antacid and white rice tonight as a precaution
Yes, I would miss tomorrow morning's dose
Do you give it once daily?
I would give tomorrow morning's dose tomorrow night
We definitely don't want to take a chance of the steroids going too low with the addison's
24 hours should be ok
You can definitely confirm with your vet tomorrow morning that this is what they recommend
You can actually give both
Sucralfate is to coat the stomach against ulcerations
Pepcid is to reduce acid buildup and nausea
10 mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for a few days as a precaution
Can I assist with any additional questions or clarify anything today?
Are you still there?
So glad I could assist you both, it sounds like Charlie is in good hands :)
No worries, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss you
Good luck to you both, truly!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
You are very welcome