Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Please see below under what Ive tried so far.

Please see below under what I've tried so far.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe what are the symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I sent thAt as part of the initial information, but I will reiterate. About 3-4 weeks ago started displaying the following symptoms:
1) scurrying around quickly across the room or up the stairs.
2) frequent paw licking
3) sitting quickly as if his bum is bothering him
4) recently started pointing his nose straight up in the air as if smelling something. Sometimes displays a quivering mouth behavior.
Took him to the vet about 2 weeks ago. Stool sample is negative. Nothing obvious upon exam. Prescribed antibiotic and antihistamine as it was explained that fall allergies can sometimes bother dogs in the anal region. Symptoms have persisted. He had a couple of symptom free days earlier in the week and we thought he was past it but they appeared again.
I am sorry the symptoms did not post on the question.

1- What is the name of the anti histamine? Milligrams?
2- Is he currently taking the anti histamine or is he off it?
3- Did your vet express his anal glands?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes his anal glands were expressed and that was all fine. Meds were hydroxyzine hcl tabs 10 mg and cefpodoxime 100 mg. antibiotic was 1/2 tab once per day for 8 days and antihistamine was 1 tab twice per day for 8 days.
Friend, the quivering of the mouth is often seen with anal itching as it is seen with allergies (food or environmental) or full anal glands. The licking of the paws further supports the symptoms could be related to allergies. A good place to continue in this case is doing a food trial for 6-8 weeks. This is what you can try:

1- Change the diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what he normally has had in the past. For example: If he seldom ate fish then try a fish formula like Taste of Wild Salmon. When on this diet he should not eat anything else or he will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Continue on Hydroxyzine as directed by family veterinarian.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks very much for your response. I am both surprised and relieved that this still seems to be an allergy related issue. He's been on the same food - blue buffalo - since he transitioned from puppy to grown up food, so I'm a little surprised he would be displaying allergy symptoms now. Since I will need to see my vet anyway for ongoing med prescription, I will speak with her about the rest of your advice as well to see if she concurs. I appreciate you taking the time to review the details of my concerns and responding so quickly. Have a great evening!
Actually, contrary to popular believe dogs will develop food sensitivity/allergies against food that they normally eat. This is why I recommended a source of protein different then what he normally had in the past. In addition, avoid ingredients like corn, soy, barley, gluten, wheat, etc. which are common allergens as well.

You're welcome.

Good Night.

Dr. Peter