Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Dr. Jay Mawhinney, Veterinarian
Experience:  34+ years experience in day practice and in critical care.

My dog has been getting scabby soars on his body that cause

My dog has been getting scabby soars on his body that cause the hair to fall out. This has been going on for three months now.

I have had him to the vet and he has been on prednisone 10 mg. and Clavamox 875mg 1/2 twice a day.

The soars do not seem to be getting any better.

Do you have any suggestions? What is this condition?

He has food
allergies and I prepare chicken breast & white rice for him daily.

Thank You,

Susan Tickemyer
I am so sorry your dog is having skin problems. The antibiotic is a good idea but with long term steroids there can be secondary yeast infections causing some of the problems. Also Hopefully blood work was done and sent to a commercial lab since often there is underlying thyroid deficiency in allergy cases and this is important to know. I need to mention that chicken and rice, while being a good mild diet does not help many food allergies and chicken is in the by products of many commercial diets and is as likely as beef to cause food allergies. Ask your veterinarian for a modified protein diet like Hills Z/D or other hypoallergenic test diet. You might have better results. A culture and scraping of the lesions might be good to rule out yeast infections. Hope this gives you some things to discuss with your veterinarian.
Dr. Jay Mawhinney
Hope you could discuss these things with your veterinarian.