Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Daisy had her first ever dose of Metacam yesterday around noon

Daisy had her first ever dose of Metacam yesterday around noon time. She awoken struggling to get up, disoriented and apparently unable to see. She has recovered considerably since, has eaten, had considerable amounts of water and recovered at least some of her vision. We will discontinue the medication but I'm wondering if this is a known side effect.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

The signs you are describing, are definitely NOT typical with the use of Metacam.

Dr. Drew :

more commonly, side effects include digestive irritation,

Dr. Drew :

including vomiting or diarrhea,

Dr. Drew :

but I would be more likely to suspect some other type of issue causing Daisy's issues, as you have described.

Dr. Drew :

the signs you've described would make me consider some type of issue within the brain, possibly associated with a temporary decrease in blood flow, as might be seen with a stroke type of event.

Dr. Drew :

it appears that you are offline,

Dr. Drew :

please let me know if more information is needed when you return.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance, daisy seems to be back to normal at this point, we will consult our vet tomorrow. I had inadvertently hit the Bad rating and am trying to correct that. I am totally satisfied with your assistance today, I apologize for my error and hope that it can be corrected.
Terry, thank you for the reply. I will notify customer service to see if they can assist with the rating process.

Best wishes to you and Daisy.