Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

my 10 yr. old Boston has a hernia near his to the left. what foods do you suggest/

my 10 yr. old Boston has a hernia near his rectum to the left. what foods do you suggest/? a Vet mentioned can pumpkin for softer stoles.So he strain.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like your dog has a perineal hernia. These are not too uncommon in male dogs. There is not really a diet to fix this or prevent stool from accumulating. The treatment is surgical with these. We go in and repair the hole in the back of the body wall.

If he's not neutered, then he should be neutered at the same time. This is a disease that is influenced by testosterone, so neutering helps it from recurring.

In the mean time, I would give him 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin 2-4 times daily. The extra fiber will help with colon motility.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.