Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog ate cat food that had 5 mg of Felimazole mixed in it

My dog ate cat food that had 5 mg of Felimazole mixed in it about an hour ago. My mother's cat takes this medication for an over active thyroid. Do I need to take him in to the E.R.? He seems fine so far, but I'm not sure what symptoms I should watch for. Thanks for your help!
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
If it was only 1 tablet, I am not concerned about any toxicity or lasting effect on the thyroid level.

I see no reason for you to induce vomiting.

I would still advise for you to monitor for any vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or panting to suggest nausea. But, not really expecting much to happen.

No, there is no indication for an ER trip at this point. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much! I will keep a close eye on him which won't be too hard since he sleeps next to me in bed.

Have a good night!

You bet.
Good Luck Kim, and I hope everything works out okay.

Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gadget. How is everything going?