Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog has developed skin problems that look like pimples.

My dog has developed skin problems that look like pimples. Some are black at the tip and some are white. About five or son in one spot but not all over. What are the possible causes
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Mitzi.

Well, pimples, could easily suggest a miliary dermatitis (lots of photos in, or a pyoderma (bacteria skin infection).

If infection is present, this would often need to be treated from the inside out. Meaning, oral antibiotics, and sometimes, even an anti-inflammatory medication as well.

It can be quite common especially for dogs with underlying allergies. So, if Mitzi's happens to lick or chew her feet a lot, which 50% of dogs with allergies like to do, than an infection stemming from allergies is another consideration.

Sometimes, endocrine conditions can cause changes of the skin as well. I would say hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone) and Cushing's disease, are the most popular for skin problems.

Definitely, well worth the vet visit for further evaluation and possibly some additional supportive medication.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.