Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

I have accidentally given my dog a double dose of Trilostane.

I have accidentally given my dog a double dose of Trilostane. He is a 21 lb. dachshound with Cushings disease. He takes 35 mg twice daily and we have given him 70 mg at one time. What should I do?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Snickers.

Well, at about 1 hour already, it is tough to suggest inducing vomiting at this point.

As only a double dose, I believe inducing vomiting would actually be worse or only equal to any side effect from the extra dose.

I would keep an eye out for any vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or panting to suggest nausea.

But, otherwise, I wouldn't suggest doing anything at this point.

Although I doubt only a double dose would be enough, but a high amount of trilostane could induce the exact opposite condition called hypoadrenocorticism (or Addison's disease). So, in addition to vomiting, also keep an eye out for any irregular twitching or tremors of the body.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Snickers. How is everything going?