Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog got into the trash and ate 1/3 cup of EXTREMELY moldy

My dog got into the trash and ate 1/3 cup of EXTREMELY moldy cream cheese (not sure how moldy it was but I assume a lot because it was in the trash for a minimum of 1.5-2 weeks). There was also some moldy bread. She has not vomited but she has drank a bowl and a half of water. She is breathing heavily but trying to rest. Loose stool but not much. I should mention that she has a stage B1 heart murmur. She also was able to lick clean an old cat food can of s/d that was in there for several days which was also moldy. I have no idea when she ate the food because I have been gone all day but the wrappers were all dry with no slobber left on them. Also, she is a small 18# XXXXX
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Dakota.

Well, I have no reason to be worried about that heart murmur at this time. Our focus should be on alleviating any stomach and intestinal distress!

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Of the above, only pepto would also have some impact on the intestinal tract and diarrhea problems.

Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
And
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including
Science Diet I/D
*It is important to remember that if improving on a bland diet or prescription food like I/D, when you transition back to the old diet, do so gradually over 3-5 days.

But, here are some extra guidelines that would warrant a trip to the emergency vet:
- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit
- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea
- poor appetite that persists
- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain. So, if that breathing heavily does not settle down, you may need to go to the vet sooner to get some stronger supportive medication for the stomach and intestinal tract.
- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I am reading all sorts of articles online that say that after their dog ate moldy cream cheese that it caused neurological problems, muscle tremors and even seizures. Several articles say that dogs have died from this. That is my main concern especially with how old the cheese was. Do I need to stay awake with her all night tonight? Also, if you could explain the tremors such as, will they start as skin twitching, or just feet twitches?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 9 months ago.
Hi Elise,
Yes, you are referring to the mycotoxins that can be produced.

Mycotoxins in Pets

The above link is from a popular veterninary magazine that may shed some light.

But, we know it must have been ingested hours ago if you see some diarrhea. Too late to induce vomiting.

So, yes, there can be some serious symptoms, and therefore, if any other changes where to occur other than some loose stool, that emergency trip for supportive care will be important.

I would at least monitor her every few hours. The tremors would likely be more of a total body tremor. A feet or facial twitch is possible, but if tremors were to occur, it would likely be very prominent.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management