Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

My puppy is 10 weeks old and just got over parvo. He was de-wormed

My puppy is 10 weeks old and just got over parvo. He was de-wormed and pooped two worms out the day I brought him home. Now his stomach is a little bloated again. Do I need to take him back to the vet? Is this life threatening?

Dr. Christian K. :

Hello. This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help.

Dr. Christian K. :

When did the bloating start? Is he eating well and passing normal stool?

Dr. Christian K. :

How long ago did he get over the parvo?

Customer: He is eating well and has normal poop. He got parvo and was hospitalized last Wednesday night
Dr. Christian K. :

Has he had any vomiting?

Customer: I brought him home this last saturday
Customer: No vomiting
Dr. Christian K. :

Good. It sounds like he is doing great.

Customer: What about the bloating? I'm just concerned and on extra edge now since the parvo. I don't want it to be bloat.
Dr. Christian K. :

Some bloating is normal in puppies, especially after they eat but my suspicion is that some worms are still present and causing the bloating.

Dr. Christian K. :

A second deworming may be needed.

Dr. Christian K. :

Bloat wouldn't occur in a puppy this young so don't worry about that.

Customer: When do I need to have him dewormed again?
Dr. Christian K. :

Usually 2 weeks between dewormings.

Customer: Oh thank god. He has been eating a little more than he should so I'm trying to limit that. But he was dewormed this last Friday.
Dr. Christian K. :

If he starts vomiting, acting lethargic, develops diarrhea or won't eat then I'd have him srechecked.

Customer: He's active and playful. And loves to eat. No vomit and his poop has become more hard and normal. But he seems a little listless at night and can't get comfy. And his stomach just seems poofy. So I was just worried.
Dr. Christian K. :

I can understand your worry. If his belly becomes more bloated looking than have him checked but it sounds like he is doing great, especially considering what he's gone through.

Customer: I know I was amazed how quickly he recovered. And ever since then I've just been on edge with him. I was just worried about bloat and more worms. He has a follow up appointment coming up and I'll have them deworm him again. If it gets worse then I'll take him in.
Dr. Christian K. :

That sounds like a very good plan. It won't hurt to deworm him a little earlier than 2 weeks.

Customer: Ok so I should call my local vet tomorrow and tell them what's going on?
Dr. Christian K. :

It wouldn't be a bad idea since they know his case so well. I'm sure they'd like an update on his progress.

Dr. Christian K. :

I know I would in their situation.

Customer: But as of now this isn't life threatening or serious?
Dr. Christian K. :

It doesn't sound like that to me at all.

Customer: Ok thank you. I really appreciate it. How much should he be eating a day?
Dr. Christian K. :

Bloat doesn't occur at this age and symptoms would be vomiting and lethargy.

Dr. Christian K. :

You're welcome. How much does he weigh?

Customer: Great. He's only lethargic after he's played for a while. Pretty normal. He weighed 3 pounds last time I checked
Dr. Christian K. :

Probably 1/2 to 3/4 cup per day at most.

Customer: Ok will do. And again thank you. This helped a lot and eased my mind.
Dr. Christian K. :

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. Good luck and good night.

Customer: Thank you Good night
Dr. Christian K. :

:)