Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.

My 5-6lb, 1 year old yorkie was in the area while I sprayed

My 5-6lb, 1 year old yorkie was in the area while I sprayed outside of our home with Ortho Home defense (I left him inside, but one of my children unknowingly let him out). Since that time (about 2.5hrs ago), he has vomited 5 times. At this point, it's only food-colored water and a small amount of foam. He is otherwise acting fine. I did not SEE him lick any of the liquid pesticide, however, that doesn't mean he didn't. Clearly he must've ingested some of it. What should I do at this point? Is he in serious peril?

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Unfortunately, I don't think we can point to the Home Defense spray as the cause for this amount of vomiting. The symptoms of contact with this product are more tremors, drunken walking, and not eating, but not vomiting. I am worried that he has something like pancreatitis or a virus, something else besides the Home Defense. At this point since he's vomiting this much there isn't much you can do, anything given by mouth will likely be vomited back up. If he continues to vomit any more at all, then what you need to do is take him to the emergency vet. At his size he is at serious risk of becoming low on his blood sugar and dehydrated which would be very life threatening and he'll need an anti vomiting injection to get the vomiting stopped.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I keep his food and water picked up overnight to give his stomach an opportunity to rest? He hasn't vomited in about 45 min now and is now lying down sleeping. I don't want to dehydrate him b/c he's so small but I don't want to allow him to continue to drink/vomit if he's stomach needs a little rest.

Has he vomited after drinking water at any point?

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He kept going back to it when he first began vomiting earlier. So I picked it up the last time he vomited and he hasn't vomited since.

Go ahead and provide water but no food until morning. If he vomits after drinking water then pull the water and consider the emergency vet.

Dr. Dan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abel. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan